Friday 29 February 2008

Poetry for no apparent reason (do we need one?)

Journeys I

Clunk, but no click

in 1976

seat as wide as a double bed

smuggled toys hiding

in the foot-well

waves through the window

and I

a small thing

carried along endless roads

twisting and winding

through the mountains of rock

winter snows beginning

to take hold

the moon follows

like an abandoned pet

flat-lining

roads long and straight

an eternity of wheat fields

wanting to pee

wanting to go home

and then ice cracking

smashing seas with iron bow

rocking and rolling

across the ocean

to white cliffs of chalk

topped in green baize

orange ribbons of sulphur lights

burning into the night sky

obscuring the stars

still wanting to pee

still wanting to go home


but home is where the heart lies

*********************************************

Fraud

You are a fraud

pertaining to be

a solid object.

‘I am,’ you said,

‘That is enough.

To be.’

But you are just

as much an empty space

as me.


************************************************

on being

i can hear them constantly asking me

for forgiveness

asking for the earth

as though i have something to do with it

my voice is silent;

angrily assertive

my migraine worsens,

constant prayers.

i told al about it

he said i should listen

to his lot

wailing at all hours-

silence is my truth

i am nothing;

a product of mind,

an eddy in the void

(i go largely unheard)

hui neng reminded me

of the mountain that is

then isn’t

then simply is

of the mirror nowhere

shining bright

i took it to mean

don’t get involved

he laughed

a figment of the imagination

like my migraine

5 comments:

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

Nice poetry - I look forward to seeing your short stories.

I'll be back :-)

hesitant scribe said...

Thank you Rob. Very kind of you to say so. There's some short stories under Older Posts...

Anonymous said...

Fantastic poetry! I really enjoyed reading it. Especially liked the first one and the FRAUD.
Thanks for your good wishes, hope you are ok. XX

Megan said...

Great poems. I especially love 'Journeys I', wonderful colours and those 'smuggled toys', hugely evocative.
Megan

Un Peu Loufoque said...

These really hit the spot today. Thanks.